As I hinted at in my KERF post last week, I spent a day putting together IKEA furniture and rearranging the nursery last week. Backbreaking I tell ya!
When I decided to purchase the smaller Hemnes dresser from IKEA, the room arrangement options opened up since the smaller dresser fits well where the crib was. The crib is also in a better location, according to all you experts, and now away from heating vents, windows and curtains. I am SO GLAD I did this because I like the nursery a million times more now!!
Particularly the view from the hallway. The bed looks so much prettier from the side than from the foot:
This little nightstand was a perfect small addition beside the bed. I repurposed the lamp from the basement. Lucky me that it’s grey already! Same with my little clock.
I love that all of the Hemnes furniture is lined with yellow + white already! Saves me lots of time : )
I did have one major snafu – I put this screw in from the wrong side and the crappy IKEA screws strip SO easily that I could not get it back out with a screwdriver, drill or pliers. Luckily the drawer still opens and closes, it just sticks a tiny bit. But also luckily this is not a drawer I will be using all that much.
New in the closet is this $99 Brimnes chest. I’m glad I went with this instead of that big vintage yellow one because it fits better than I think that one would have (and was half the price!). Also really glad I didn’t get that vintage dresser in that same post – I think it would have been too short.
I plan to store extra clothes and things in this guy
Building it took longer than the dresser! And the bottom handle cracked when I screwed it in. Sadness. But that’s Ok.
I’m not quite sure how I will use this hanging shelf system, but I added some boxes that fit well inside:
The closet is ready for things! [Still also SO glad we took the door off! I cannot imagine the room with that door to open.]
Building the Hemnes dresser came next. I was proud of myself for doing this solo!
I followed the directions SO closely, but IKEA pictures are still not easy to interpret, and I have no idea how these screws ended up on the outside instead of the inside! Not worth taking the dresser apart for though. I will just paint them white.
I also made a mistake when building the drawers and got a little too self confident and found myself with drawers with holes on the inside instead of the outside so the tracks could attach! I had pounded the plastic nail-screws in already, so there wasn’t really an easy way to fix this.
But I finally had the bright idea to drill through from the other side and fixed the problem! Whew.
I filled the big drawers with 2 sets of cloth Skubb boxes – lots of organization ready for tiny socks and diapers!
I bought these blue chevron-like boxes for the top of the dresser. Love!
Door-side of the room [wall décor TBD]
And relocated crib!
I bought this little yellow table…not sure if it will stay, but I liked the color. Beaker like it too.
HAD to have these cloth veggies! I saw a similar product for $40 online recently and these were just $7!
I moved the rug so it’s tucked under the bed and JUST clears the entry door. Much happier with the rug location now too!
So happy with these big changes. Now we just have a bunch of small things to do! Things like more wall décor, a few book shelves (I bought some Ribba shelves), possible curtain change, new shades for the ceiling fan, all the baby stuff (!), etc.
And hopefully someday, we will get to add the baby too!
OTHER 20 WEEK POSTS