While I was at the beach last week I brought along the Knocked Up Fitness Pilates Infused Fitness DVD. The DVD is led by mother-of-three Pilates instructor Erica Ziel. Erica sent me her DVDs to review here on BERF.
As you know, I am not very experienced in Pilates. I’ve done a class here and there – maybe 5 in my lifetime. I blame my lack of participation on an itch to move around, but I do think it’s a very effective method of strengthening. Now that I’ve slowed down a bit with my fitness, Pilates is more appealing. Especially because the equipment required is minimal.
In my expedited vacation workout schedule, I opted to do 3 of the short workouts:
-Warm-up (12 mins)
-Prenatal Fitcamp (8 mins)
-Total Body Pilates (8 mins)
I didn’t have my exercise ball with me at the beach or any weights, but I improvised with the ball and used water bottles for weights.
Overall, I really enjoyed the workout! I felt like I’d be stretched and strengthened during the ~30 minutes I did. In fact, I was only going to do 2 of the workouts and ended up adding one more because they went by so fast.
- How short the workouts were. In contrast to Expecting More, which I liked because the workouts were so long, this is a great contrast for days when you don’t want to spend an hour weight lifting. Perfect especially for later trimesters when you don’t really know how your energy levels will be : )
- The workouts move fast – so I never got bored or itchy
- I liked Erica’s temperament and the studio was really pretty and natural – not 80s aerobics décor
- You can really do one of these every day because they are short and effective OR you can do more at once and bank them together
- I felt that new muscles of mine were used, a nice contrast to Body Pump power lifting
- It was similar to my prenatal yoga class with pelvic tilts/cat cow
- The exercise ball – because I didn’t have mine with me! But I just put a pillow down on the floor, so it wasn’t a huge deal
- While I found the workout to be effective, I didn’t feel super challenged. But who really is after that late in pregnancy anyways?
- I just don’t looove Pilates, but I can see how beneficial this type of workout is
Since this was just the Pilates “infused” session, I’m betting the other DVD – THE Pilates workout – is harder! I definitely think these workouts will be good for post-baby home exercise too.
Here is the Amazon page and costs – $19 each or $36 for both. I would recommend getting the fitness one if you don’t love Pilates and the other if you already practice.
Previous 27 week posts