There are so many options out there for playards – I have no idea what to choose or even how we will use it!
Here are some facts about our situation:
- We won’t be using it for nightime sleeping (we have the rock n play sleeper and a crib nearby our room)
- We could use it for downstairs napping.
- We could use it for contained + safe playing – especially when he becomes very mobile and upstairs where there is more danger.
- My mom and Karen are both getting this one for their homes.
- I don’t think I’d bring it to the beach, park, etc for playing – I’d probably just bring a blanket and play with him.
- For newborn travel, we could use the rock n play which is pretty portable. But when he’s bigger, I’m not sure what he’d sleep in if the hotel/house didn’t have a crib or pack n play provided.
So all of that said, do you think we need to buy one?
I love the look of the Joovy Room2 Ultralight and the reviews are good. It’s super lightweight, but also expensive at $200. It’s 9 square feet and weighs 21 pounds all folded up. Since it sits on the floor, I think the weight limit is probably nearly unlimited. I could see this being very useful with a bigger baby. It’s also really easy to fold up in an instant since there is no wooden/plank board for the floor.
I don’t like the look of the Graco ones as much, but I like the Pasadena well enough and the price is much, much better at $70. I THINK it comes with a bassinet for napping, although it doesn’t show it in any of the photos. It’s well reviewed and popular on Amazon. Weight limit: 40 lbs. 28 x 40 inches – so quite a bit smaller but the same weight at 22 lbs. I can see him growing out of this more quickly.
Then there are the ones that are kind of inbetween. They have some bells and whistles (which I doubt I would need/use but maybe?) Like this one for $99 that has a napper/changer station, exterior storage, etc. The napper/changer has pretty low weight requirements, and I’ve heard that they are not built too well. Medium sized and heaviest. I also don’t love the design.
I am tempted not to get one at all – or just wait and see if we need a contained play space or portable crib when he’s older. But I don’t know what I don’t know so please share your thoughts!
Previous 36 week posts