Packing the hospital bag was perhaps one of the most surreal things I’ve done! It’s a rare occasion that you know you’re going to be staying in a hospital for a few days. I have been IN the hospital for the day, but I haven’t stayed overnight before, so I’m not entirely sure what to expect – especially since I don’t know what my labor, delivery and recovery will be like.
After reading a handful of blog posts and websites about what to pack, I feel that we have a good base of things covered for different scenarios. I tend to overpack in general, so don’t be surprised if you see more than you might take. If I don’t use any of this, I don’t really care, but I’ll have a piece of mind that I brought it.
- Pretty burp cloth – unnecessary but fun
- 2 receiving blankets – also to add some pizzazz to the bland hospital
- A diaper – also probably not necessary, but I put it in for fun in case we need it on the way home or something random.
- Nursing cover – if we have guests visit and I need to nurse
- Baby mittens, socks and a paci (also in case of emergency)
- Spare newborn outfit
- Going home outfit!
- Big outfit in case he is 10 pounds : )
- Slippers and 2 pairs of fuzzy socks with grippers on the bottom
- Extra PJ bottoms – large size!
- Throw-away Hanes underwear from Target
- My new robe and bottoms!
- 3 nursing bras – the sleep kind
- Nursing bra – the sportier, more supportive kind – for going home outfit
- 4 nursing camis (in case I am there for more days than 2 or need costume changes – you never know)
- Going home outfit – a stretchy Five Bamboo skirt in a dark color and a nursing shirt from Motherhood
- Extra nursing shirt/tank
[I imagine I will labor in the hospital gown and/or naked and/or whatever I put on before we leave the house.]
- Make-up bag (empty) – to be packed before we leave for the hospital if possible
- Extra hair ties, clips and inexpensive jewelry, if needed
- Hair brush and headband
- Tooth care
- Nail file – for the baby’s nails if needed!
- Facial cleanser towels and shower cap
- Razor (more for underarms than legs : ) ), deodorant, my favorite facial lotion
- FANCY ROSE #31 set I’ve been saving!!!
- Lanolin (although I hear my hospital has this)
- Prenatal vitamins
- Lavender essential oil and lip balm
- Disposable nursing pads (3)
- Jumbo overnight ultra pads (although the thin style because I cannot stand the maxi kind)
Remember when I was obsessed with these Le Labo products I got at the Fairmont Olympic in Seattle? They sell for $65 a bottle! I knew I had to save them for the hospital – to create as spa like of an experience as possible : ) I can’t wait to use them!
- Change of clothes (that he won’t miss in the next month)
- Toiletries (also spare ones that he won’t miss) – I packed a new deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, a new toothbrush, toothpaste, soap and a mini cologne : )
- PJs and clean shirt to sleep in
- Swim suit, although I seriously doubt he will be getting in the tub
Sigh, men are so easy. I also suspect that he will pop back home at the end of the first full day for a few items, maybe a better shower, to deliver the placenta, etc.
- Reading material + reference book in case I have time during the day when baby naps
- Labor motivation stories to be read by my support team, if necessary
- Birth wishes plan and placenta encapsulation info
- Spare cell phone charger
- External speaker for computer/phone
- Snacks – bars, dates, a peanut butter (for hospital oatmeal breakfast!?)
- Tablet (by Samsung – I LOVE it for books and quick internet!!)
- Last-minute packing list
Don’t forget last minute items we can’t pack until it’s time:
I welcome your suggestions on anything I might have forgotten that you found especially helpful! I probably won’t be taking anything out though – just FYI!
PREVIOUS 37 WEEK POSTS